Advanced Estonian Vocabulary
This book is the third in the Estonian Frequency Dictionary Series.
This book will help you increase your vocabulary by roughly CEFR B2 to CEFR C1+.
This book is intended for advanced Estonian students and those wishing to improve their Estonian further.
You will be able to speak Estonian fluently by knowing the most popular 7.500 words. You will be able to express yourself easily and can understand 93% of all Estonian texts and 97% all spoken Estonian.
To use the frequency dictionary, you don't need to have read the first or second book in the series. You can use it as a standalone tool or in combination with other language methods.
This book contains:
- The most common 5.001-7.500 Estonian words, with their English translations.
- Estonian vocabulary ranked according to frequency and alphabet.
- Frequency is a part of speech (most commonly used adjectives, nouns, and verbs, etc.)
- 500 Estonian-English example sentences
- IPA Phonetic spellings of Estonian
Why Study by Frequency?
It's important that you remember that these statistics and numbers are not exact. However, they represent a global average from multiple sources. This is the vocabulary required for fluency at different levels:
- 250 words are the core of any language. These words are essential for building sentences.
- 750 words are the most common words used by everyone who speaks the language every day.
- 2500 words: These should allow you to convey everything you want, though some creativity may be necessary.
- 5000 words: The active vocabulary of native speakers who have not received higher education. You will be able to understand 95% of spoken language.
- 10,000 words: The active vocabulary of native speakers who have higher education.
- 20,000 words is the minimum amount of words you must recognize in order to understand and read a piece of literature, such as a novel by a well-known author.
What's Inside This Book?
Based on an analysis of many Estonian subtitles, this frequency list shows the most commonly used Estonian words. It is essential to have a large collection of base text to establish a reliable frequency list.
Subtitles can be used as a source, because they correspond both with spoken and written language. This makes subtitles the best way to create a practical and valuable word frequency list.
The Estonian-English frequency dictionary can be roughly divided into three parts.
- 2.500 Estonian words ranked according to general frequency
- Frequency ranking according to part of speech (E.G., Most used nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc.
- 2.500 Estonian words organized alphabetically
Estonian pronunciation can be difficult. Phonetic transcriptions of Estonian words were created to help you correctly pronounce Estonian words. The International Phonetic Alphabet enables you to spell words phonetically, so we used that.
The Estonian Frequency Dictionary 3 - Advanced Vocabulary provides a word list that will help you learn Estonian vocabulary. To quickly expand your practical knowledge of Estonian vocabulary, you should begin by studying the most commonly used words.
The frequency dictionary is available as an independent tool. You can use it by itself or combine it with any other language learning programs, apps, books, or courses. The CEFR vocabulary ratings range from B2 (advanced, independent user) up to C1+ ("early fluency") in this book.