What Is The Meaning Of "Máscara" In Spanish
When delving into the world of languages, one cannot help but be captivated by the beauty and diversity of the Spanish language. Spanish, with its myriad of words and expressions, often has nuances that go beyond simple translation. In this article, we will explore the meaning of the term "máscara" in Spanish, shedding light on its various uses, and providing essential Spanish to English sample sentences to help you grasp its significance.
What is the Meaning of "Máscara" in Spanish?
The term máscara (IPA: ˈmaskaɾa/) in Spanish is a word that can be translated to English as "mask." The most straightforward and common translation of "máscara" is a mask used to cover the face for various purposes, such as disguise, protection, or performance. However, like many words in any language, its meaning goes beyond a mere translation. The are multiple nuances in the usage of this term.
Usage of "Máscara" in Spanish
Cultural Significance: Masks, or "máscaras," hold great cultural significance in the Spanish-speaking world. They are often used in festivals, celebrations, and religious ceremonies. The famous "Carnaval de Venecia" (Carnival of Venice) is known for its elaborate and intricate masks.
Theatrical Performances: In the realm of theater, "máscara" refers to masks used by actors to portray various characters. These masks help express emotions, personality traits, and even social roles.
- El actor llevaba una máscara triste en la obra. (The actor wore a sad mask in the play.)
Cosmetics and Beauty: "Máscara" is also used to describe mascara in the cosmetic sense. In this context, it refers to the product used to enhance and darken eyelashes.
- Ella aplicó máscara en sus pestañas para tener una mirada más expresiva. (She applied mascara to her eyelashes for a more expressive look.)
Concealment: In a metaphorical sense, "máscara" can refer to concealing one's true feelings or intentions, similar to the English expression "wearing a mask."
- Ella siempre llevaba una máscara de alegría, pero en su interior estaba triste. (She always wore a mask of happiness, but inside she was sad.)
Take a look at our series of frequency dictionaries to learn Spanish words fast. Stop learning hard, and start learning smart!
Sample Sentences of "Máscara" in Spanish with English Translations
To help you grasp the usage of "máscara" in practical contexts, here are five sample sentences:
- ¿Dónde puedo comprar una máscara de alta calidad?
(Where can I buy a high-quality mask?)
- Ella olvidó traer su máscara al supermercado.
(She forgot to bring her mask to the supermarket.)
- En el carnaval, la gente lleva máscaras coloridas.
(During the carnival, people wear colorful masks.)
- El luchador famoso nunca reveló su verdadera identidad bajo la máscara.
(The famous wrestler never revealed his true identity under the mask.)
- Necesito unas cuantas máscaras para el baile de disfraces.
(I need a few masks for the costume party.)
Take a look at what our customers have to say, and get your Spanish Frequency Dictionaries in paperback here! We offer different levels: