What Is The Meaning Of "Estación" In Spanish
The Spanish language is a rich tapestry of words and expressions that often have nuanced meanings and uses. One such term is "estación," which has various meanings and is used differently across the Spanish-speaking world. In this article, we'll explore the multifaceted meaning of "estación" in Spanish, its usage in different contexts, and provide some Spanish-to-English sample sentences to illustrate its use.
What is the Meaning of "Estación" in Spanish?
In Spanish, estación (IPA: /es.taˈθjon/) translates to "season" or "station" in English, depending on the context in which it is used. This term is widely used and understood in Spanish-speaking countries. It encompasses a wide range of meanings, depending on the context in which it is used. Here are some of the key interpretations:
- Railway Station: One of the most common uses of "estación" is to refer to a railway station, where trains arrive and depart. In Spain, you might encounter bustling estaciones like "Estación de Atocha" in Madrid or "Estación de Sants" in Barcelona.
- Season: "Estación" can also denote a season, such as spring, summer, autumn, or winter. For example, "estación de primavera" means spring season, while "estación de invierno" refers to winter.
- Bus Station: In certain regions, particularly in Latin America, "estación" is used to describe a bus station or terminal. This is where buses embark on their journeys to various destinations.
- Broadcasting Station: Additionally, "estación" can be employed to denote a broadcasting station, like a radio or television station. This is where signals are transmitted to reach a wider audience.
Usage of "Estación" in Spanish
- Cultural Significance: Understanding the concept of "estación" is crucial for appreciating Spanish culture. Festivals, traditions, and even cuisine are deeply influenced by the changing seasons.
- Navigating Transportation: If you are traveling in a Spanish-speaking country, knowing how to find and use different types of stations is essential for getting around efficiently.
- Communication and Media: Whether it is catching a show on the radio or making a guest appearance on a television station, "estación" is a term you will encounter in the world of media.
- Weather Conversations: Talking about the weather is a universal icebreaker, and knowing the seasons in Spanish will help you engage in small talk with locals.
Take a look at our series of frequency dictionaries to learn Spanish words fast. Stop learning hard, and start learning smart!
Sample Sentences of "Estación" in Spanish with English Translations
To help you grasp the usage of "estación" in practical contexts, here are five sample sentences:
- ¿Cuál es tu estación favorita?
(What is your favorite season?)
- La estación de autobuses está al final de la calle.
(The bus station is at the end of the street.)
- Hoy voy a la estación de radio para una entrevista.
(Today I'm going to the radio station for an interview.)
- En la estación de trenes se venden boletos para destinos internacionales.
(Tickets for international destinations are sold at the train station.)
- La primavera es una estación llena de flores y colores vibrantes.
(Spring is a season filled with flowers and vibrant colors.)
Take a look at what our customers have to say, and get your Spanish Frequency Dictionaries in paperback here! We offer different levels: