What Is The Meaning Of "Equivocado" In Spanish
Have you ever come across the Spanish word "equivocado" and wondered what it means? Well, you are in the right place! In this article, we will delve into the intricacies of this versatile term, exploring its meaning, analyzing its usage, and even providing you with some sample sentences to help you use it effectively.
What is the Meaning of "Equivocado" in Spanish?
The term equivocado(a) (IPA: /e.ki.βoˈka.ðo(s)/) is an adjective in Spanish that translates to "wrong" or "incorrect" in English. It is used to describe something that is not right or accurate. The plural form of "equivocado" is equivocado(a)s (IPA: /e.ki.βoˈka.ðo(s)/).
Usage of "Equivocado" in Spanish
"Equivocado" is a term commonly used in various Spanish-speaking regions, but it is worth noting that different regions may have slight variations in its usage. Here are some common scenarios where you might encounter this term:
- Mistakes and Errors: This is the most straightforward use of "equivocado." When something is incorrect or not accurate, you can use this term. For example, if someone gives you the wrong directions, you might say, "Estás equivocado" (You are wrong).
- Incorrect Choices: When someone makes a wrong decision or chooses the wrong option, you can use this term. For instance, if someone chooses the wrong answer in a quiz, you could say, "esa respuesta es equivocada" ("that answer is wrong.")
- False Assumptions: If someone has a mistaken belief or makes an incorrect assumption, you can use "equivocado" to address it. For example, if someone assumes you don't speak Spanish, you can say, "Estás equivocado, hablo español" (You are wrong, I speak Spanish).
- Inaccurate Information: If information provided is incorrect or misleading, "equivocado" is the term to use. For example, if a news report contains false information, you might say, "esa noticia es equivocada" ("that news is wrong.")
- Misunderstandings: When there is a misunderstanding or confusion, you can use this term to clarify the situation. For example, if someone misinterprets your statement, you could say, "no, no me entendiste, estás equivocado" ("no, you didn't understand me, you are wrong.")
Take a look at our series of frequency dictionaries to learn Spanish words fast. Stop learning hard, and start learning smart!
Sample Sentences of "Equivocado" in Spanish with English Translations
To help you grasp the usage of "equivocado" in practical contexts, here are five sample sentences:
- Estás completamente equivocado en eso.
(You are completely wrong about that.)
- Ella tomó la dirección equivocada.
(She took the wrong direction.)
- Los números en tu informe están equivocados.
(The numbers in your report are incorrect.)
- No puedo creer que hayas elegido el color equivocado.
(I can't believe you chose the wrong color.)
- Si piensas que no puedo hacerlo, estás equivocado.
(If you think I can't do it, you are mistaken.)