How To Say "Write" In Spanish
Whether you are a student learning Spanish or a traveler looking to navigate through Spanish-speaking countries, learning how to say write in Spanish is an essential skill to have. In this article, we will explore the meaning of "write" in Spanish, provide its translation, and offer some regional differences.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is "Write" in Spanish?
The word "write" in Spanish can be translated to "escribir" (IPA: /esˈkɾiβir/). This verb is commonly used in everyday conversations and formal writing, and it is essential to know its meaning when learning Spanish.
Meaning of "Write" in Spanish
The verb "escribir" is used when referring to the act of producing words, symbols, or characters on a surface, such as paper or a computer screen. It can also refer to the act of composing or drafting a text.
Some examples of the use of the verb "escribir" in a sentence are:
- Debes escribir una carta a tus abuelos. (You should write a letter to your grandparents.)
- Ana siempre escribe sus pensamientos en un diario. (Ana always writes her thoughts in a diary.)
- El autor tardó años en escribir su novela. (The author took years to write his novel.)
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Translate "Write" to Spanish
As we mentioned earlier, "write" in Spanish is "escribir". Here are some additional translations of "write" to Spanish:
- To write a letter: Escribir una carta
- To write an email: Escribir un correo electrónico
- To write a book: Escribir un libro
- To write a song: Escribir una canción
- To write a poem: Escribir un poema
It is important to note that there may be some regional differences in the use of the word "write" in Spanish. For example, in Spain, the verb "redactar" can also be used instead of "escribir" when referring to the act of drafting or composing a text.
In Latin American countries, some slang expressions for "writing" are tirar líneas (To throw lines) or plasmar (To capture). These expressions are not commonly used in formal writing but can be heard in everyday conversations.
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "Write" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "write" in Spanish:
- ¿Puedes escribirme una carta de recomendación?
(Can you write me a letter of recommendation?)
- Tengo que escribir un ensayo sobre mi ciudad favorita.
(I have to write an essay about my favorite city.)
- ¿Sabes cómo se escribe "felicidad" en inglés?
(Do you know how to write "happiness" in English?)
- Necesito escribir una lista de compras.
(I need to write a shopping list.)
- ¿Podrías escribirme la dirección en un papel?
(Could you write the address for me on a piece of paper?)
In conclusion, learning how to say write in Spanish is an important skill to have if you are learning the language or planning to visit a Spanish-speaking country. By using the verb "escribir" and its translations, you can effectively communicate in Spanish in a variety of situations.