How To Say "Weekend" In Spanish
Are you planning a trip to a Spanish-speaking country or just want to expand your vocabulary? Knowing how to say "weekend" in Spanish can be very useful. In this article, we will explore the different ways to say "weekend" in Spanish and its meaning.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is "Weekend" in Spanish?
The word for "weekend" in Spanish is "fin de semana" (IPA: /fɪn de se'mana/). This term is commonly used in all Spanish-speaking countries, from Spain to Latin America. However, some regions have other words or expressions for the weekend.
Meaning of "Weekend" in Spanish
The literal meaning of "fin de semana" is "end of the week". It refers to the two days of rest at the end of the working week, typically Saturday and Sunday. However, in some countries, the weekend starts on Friday afternoon and ends on Sunday night.
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Other Ways to Say "Weekend" in Spanish
As mentioned before, some Spanish-speaking countries have their own words or expressions for the weekend. Here are some examples:
- In Mexico and some Central American countries, it is said "fin de semana" as in the rest of the Spanish-speaking world (In Mexico and some Central American countries, it is said "fin de semana" as in the rest of the Spanish-speaking world).
- In Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, the word finde (IPA: /ˈfinde/) is used as an abbreviation of "fin de semana". (In Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, the word "finde" is used as an abbreviation of "fin de semana").
- In Chile, finde largo (IPA: /ˈfinde ˈlaɾɣo/) is used when there is a holiday in the middle of the weekend. (In Chile, "finde largo" is used when there is a holiday in the middle of the weekend).
- In Spain, the term "finde" or finde semana (IPA: /ˈfinde seˈmana/) is used interchangeably (In Spain, the terms "finde" or "finde semana" are used interchangeably).
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "Weekend" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "weekend" in Spanish:
- Este fin de semana voy a visitar a mi familia.
(This weekend I am going to visit my family.)
- ¿Quieres ir al cine el fin de semana que viene?
(Do you want to go to the movies next weekend?)
- Los fines de semana me gusta hacer senderismo en las montañas.
(I like to go hiking in the mountains on weekends.)
- No tengo planes para el fin de semana, ¿quieres hacer algo juntos?
(I don't have any plans for the weekend, do you want to do something together?)
- Mañana es el último día de trabajo antes del fin de semana.
(Tomorrow is the last day of work before the weekend.)
In conclusion, knowing how to say weekend in Spanish is essential if you plan on spending time in a Spanish-speaking country. Whether you're planning a weekend getaway, making plans with friends, or just want to relax and enjoy your time off, "fin de semana" is the word you need to know. Remember, while there may be regional variations in the word, the basic meaning is the same across Spanish-speaking countries.