How To Say "To Watch" In Spanish
Are you looking to expand your Spanish vocabulary? One essential verb you should learn is “to watch”. In this article, we will explore the meaning of “to watch” in Spanish, different translations, and provide some helpful sample sentences to help you practice.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is "To Watch" in Spanish?
The word “to watch” in Spanish can be translated as “ver” (IPA: /ˈber/) or “mirar” (IPA: /miˈɾar/). Although both verbs can be used interchangeably in some contexts, there is a subtle difference in meaning between the two.
This verb means “to see” or “to watch” and emphasizes the act of seeing something. For example: Veo una película. (I am watching a movie.)
This verb means “to look at” or “to watch” and emphasizes the action of directing one’s attention to something. For example: Miro a la televisión. (I am watching TV.)
Meaning of "To Watch" in Spanish
“To watch” is a versatile verb that can be used in various contexts. Here are some of the most common meanings:
- To watch a movie: Ver una película
- To watch a TV show: Ver una serie
- To watch a game or match: Ver un partido
- To watch a performance: Ver un espectáculo
- To watch over someone: Vigilar a alguien
- To watch out: Tener cuidado
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Translating “To Watch” to Spanish
If you want to say “to watch” in Spanish, you can use the verbs “ver” or “mirar” as we previously mentioned. Here are the conjugations for both verbs in the present tense:
- Yo veo (I watch)
- Tú ves (You watch)
- Él/Ella/Usted ve (He/She/You watch)
- Nosotros/Nosotras vemos (We watch)
- Vosotros/Vosotras veis (You all watch - Spain)
- Ellos/Ellas/Ustedes ven (They/You all watch)
- Yo miro (I watch)
- Tú miras (You watch)
- Él/Ella/Usted mira (He/She/You watch)
- Nosotros/Nosotras miramos (We watch)
- Vosotros/Vosotras miráis (You all watch)
- Ellos/Ellas/Ustedes miran (They/You all watch)
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "To Watch" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "to watch" in Spanish:
- ¿Quieres ver una película esta noche?
(Do you want to watch a movie tonight?)
- Siempre miro la televisión después del trabajo.
(I always watch TV after work.)
- Ayer vimos un partido de fútbol muy emocionante.
(Yesterday we watched a very exciting soccer match.)
- La gente está esperando ansiosamente el espectáculo de esta noche.
(People are eagerly waiting for tonight's performance.)
- Tienes que vigilar a los niños en la piscina.
(You have to watch the kids in the pool.)
In conclusion, "to watch" in Spanish is "ver". It is a crucial phrase that you must master to communicate effectively in Spanish. Remember that the pronunciation of "ver" may vary depending on the region, so it is important to listen carefully to the people you are speaking with. Use the tips provided to improve your Spanish language skills and become fluent in no time.