How To Say "Sun" In Spanish
Are you wondering what is "sun" in Spanish? The Spanish language is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, with over 500 million speakers. Learning how to say "sun" in Spanish is a great place to start if you are looking to expand your vocabulary. In this article, we will cover the meaning of "sun" in Spanish, different ways to say it, and provide regional references.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
Meaning of "Sun" in Spanish
In Spanish, the word for "sun" is sol (IPA: /ˈsol/). The word is pronounced with a stressed "o" sound, followed by a soft "l" sound. "Sol" is a masculine noun, which means that it is usually used with masculine articles like "el" (The).
Translating "Sun" to Spanish
If you are looking to translate "sun" from English to Spanish, "sol" is the most common word to use. However, there are a few other words that you might encounter:
- Astro Rey (IPA: /ˈastɾo ˈrei/): This phrase literally means "King of the Stars" and is a poetic way to refer to the Sun.
- Orbe Solar (IPA: /ˈoɾ.be soˈlaɾ/): This phrase refers to the solar orb and is another poetic way to refer to the Sun.
- Sol de Justicia (IPA: /ˈsol de xu.stiˈθja/): This phrase translates to "Sun of Justice" and is used in a religious context.
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
In Spanish, there are several regional variations of the language, which means that there may be some slight differences in the way that "sun" is pronounced or used. Here are a few examples:
- In Spain, the word "sol" is typically pronounced with a softer "s" sound, similar to the English "s" sound in "sun".
- In Mexico and some other Latin American countries, the word "sol" is often used as a nickname for people with lighter skin or hair, similar to the English word "blondie".
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "Sun" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "sun" in Spanish:
- El sol está brillando.
(The sun is shining.)
- Quiero un sombrero para protegerme del sol.
(I want a hat to protect myself from the sun.)
- El sol sale por el este.
(The sun rises in the east.)
- No puedo ver nada con el sol en los ojos.
(I can't see anything with the sun in my eyes.)
- Me encanta ver el atardecer con el sol poniéndose en el horizonte.
(I love watching the sunset with the sun setting on the horizon.)