How To Say "Sentence" In Spanish
If you are looking to learn Spanish, knowing the basic vocabulary is essential. One of the most fundamental parts of learning any language is understanding how to form sentences. In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about the Spanish word for "sentence" and how to say it.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is Sentence in Spanish?
The word for "sentence" in Spanish is "frase" (IPA: /ˈfɾase/). This word is commonly used across all Spanish-speaking countries, with only minor regional differences in pronunciation.
Meaning of Sentence in Spanish
The meaning of "sentence" in Spanish is the same as in English. It refers to a group of words that express a complete thought, consisting of a subject and a predicate. In Spanish, the subject usually comes before the verb.
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Translating "Sentence" to Spanish
As mentioned earlier, the word for "sentence" in Spanish is "frase". However, if you are looking for synonyms, you can also use the word oración (IPA: /oɾaˈθjon/), which means the same thing as a complete sentence.
While the word for "sentence" is the same across all Spanish-speaking countries, there are some regional differences in the way it is pronounced. For example:
- In Spain, the "s" in "frase" is pronounced with a slight lisp, making it sound more like "fthrase".
- In some parts of Latin America, such as Mexico and Central America, the "s" is dropped altogether, making it sound more like "frah-eh".
- In parts of South America, such as Argentina and Uruguay, the "s" is pronounced normally, making it sound more like "frase".
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "Sentence" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "sentence" in Spanish:
- La frase que acabas de decir no tiene sentido.
(The sentence you just said doesn't make sense.)
- ¿Podrías escribir una frase usando esta palabra?
(Could you write a sentence using this word?)
- La frase más común en español es "Hola, ¿cómo estás?".
(The most common sentence in Spanish is "Hello, how are you?".)
- En la clase de español, aprendimos a formar frases simples.
(In Spanish class, we learned how to form simple sentences.)
- La última frase de la novela me dejó conmovido.
(The last sentence of the novel left me moved.)
In conclusion, knowing how to say "sentence" in Spanish is an essential part of learning the language. Whether you are just starting out or you are a more advanced speaker, understanding the basic vocabulary is crucial for success. So, remember, the next time you are looking to form a sentence in Spanish, use the word "frase" or "oración" and you will be well on your way to speaking like a native.