How To Say "Our" In Spanish
If you are learning Spanish, you may wonder how to say "our" in Spanish. "Our" is a possessive pronoun that indicates possession or ownership. In this article, we will explain what "our" means in Spanish, how to say it, and its different variations in different regions.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is "Our" in Spanish?
The word for "our" in Spanish is "nuestro" (IPA: /ˈnwe̞stɾo/) if it is masculine or "nuestra" (IPA: /ˈnwe̞stɾa/) if it is feminine. These pronouns can refer to a group of people or things that belong to us.
- Nuestro coche (Our car)
- Nuestra casa (Our house)
- Nuestros amigos (Our friends)
- Nuestras vacaciones (Our vacations)
In addition, "our" can also be translated as "nuestras" or "nuestros" depending on the gender and number of the objects owned.
- Nuestras bicicletas (Our bicycles, feminine plural)
- Nuestros libros (Our books, masculine plural)
Meaning of "Our" in Spanish
As mentioned, "our" is a possessive pronoun that indicates possession or ownership. It refers to a group of people or things that belong to us.
- Our family (Nuestra familia)
- Our country (Nuestro país)
- Our school (Nuestra escuela)
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Translating “Our” to Spanish
If you want to translate "our" to Spanish, it depends on the gender and number of the object owned. Here are the different variations:
- Masculine singular: Nuestro
- Feminine singular: Nuestra
- Masculine plural: Nuestros
- Feminine plural: Nuestras
In different regions of the Spanish-speaking world, there may be slight variations in the use of "our". For instance:
- In Spain, the pronouns "mío" (IPA: /ˈmio/) and "tuyo" (IPA: /ˈtujo/) are often used instead of "Nuestro" and "Vuestra" respectively.
- In some parts of Latin America, "Nuestro" can also be shortened to "Nues'" to make it more colloquial.
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "Our" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "Our" in Spanish:
- Nuestra casa es muy grande.
(Our house is very big.)
- Nuestros hijos son muy inteligentes.
(Our children are very intelligent.)
- Nuestro perro se llama Bruno.
(Our dog is named Bruno.)
- Nuestras vacaciones fueron increíbles.
(Our vacations were amazing.)
- Nuestros amigos nos visitaron ayer.
(Our friends visited us yesterday.)
In conclusion, "our" is an essential possessive pronoun in Spanish that indicates possession or ownership. Its different variations depend on the gender and number of the object owned. Regional differences can also influence its use in different regions of the Spanish-speaking world. By understanding how to say "our" in Spanish, you can improve your communication skills and convey your ownership more effectively.