How To Say Health In Spanish
Health is a crucial aspect of our lives that we should take care of every day. It is important to know how to say "health" in different languages, especially if you plan to travel or work in a Spanish-speaking country. In this article, we will explore the meaning of "health" in Spanish, how to say it, and some regional differences.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is "Health" in Spanish?
"Health" in Spanish is "salud." It is a feminine noun and pronounced as /sa'luð/ in IPA phonetics. The word "salud" comes from the Latin word "salus", which means well-being.
Meaning of "Health" in Spanish
In Spanish, "salud" refers to physical, mental, and social well-being. It encompasses a holistic concept of health that goes beyond just the absence of illness or disease. In other words, "salud" is not only about being physically fit, but also having a positive mindset and healthy social relationships.
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Translating “Health” to Spanish
If you want to translate "health" to Spanish, the word is "salud". Here are a few more common health-related words and phrases in Spanish:
- Enfermedad (IPA: /en.fer.me.ˈðað/): Illness
- Médico/a (IPA: /ˈmeðiko(a)/: Doctor
- Hospital (IPA: /os.pi.ˈtal/): Hospital
- Seguro médico (IPA: /se.ˈɣu.ɾo ˈme.ði.ko/): Health insurance
- Bienestar (IPA: /bjen.es.ˈtaɾ/): Well-being
Just like in any language, there are regional differences in Spanish. In some Spanish-speaking countries, people may use different words or expressions to refer to "health." Here are some examples:
- In Mexico, people might use the expression "bienestar" to refer to health. This word means well-being in English.
- In some parts of Spain, people may use the word "salubridad" (IPA: /sa.lu.βɾiˈðað/) to refer to health. This word refers to the state of being healthy or sanitary.
- In Argentina, people might use the word "salubre" (IPA: /sa.ˈlu.bɾe/) to refer to something healthy or good for health. This word is an adjective and means "wholesome" or "healthful" in English.
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say Health in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences on how to say "Health" in Spanish:
- ¿Cómo estás de salud?
(How is your health?)
- Siempre trato de cuidar mi salud.
(I always try to take care of my health.)
- Fui al médico para que revisara mi salud.
(I went to the doctor to have my health checked.)
- Mi seguro médico cubre mis gastos de salud.
(My health insurance covers my health expenses.)
- El bienestar mental es tan importante como la salud física.
(Mental well-being is as important as physical health.)
In conclusion, "salud" is the word for "health" in Spanish, and it is an important concept in Spanish-speaking cultures. Knowing how to say "health" in Spanish can be useful in many situations, from asking about someone's well-being to ordering a healthy meal. With a little practice, you can become comfortable using this word and many other health-related terms in Spanish.