How To Say "Green" In Spanish
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is "Green" in Spanish?
The word for "green" in Spanish is "verde" (IPA: /beɾ.ðe/). It is a masculine noun, which means that it takes masculine articles and adjectives. The word "green" can also be used as an adjective or a noun in English, and the same goes for its Spanish equivalent.
Meaning of "Water" in Spanish
The meaning of verde in Spanish is the same as in English. It is a color that symbolizes nature, growth, and renewal. Additionally, it is also associated with environmental movements and initiatives, as well as with luck and prosperity in some cultures.
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Translating "Verde" to Spanish
If you want to translate "green" to Spanish, you can use the word verde. Some other translations of "green" in Spanish include:
- Esmeralda (IPA: /es.me.ˈɾal.da/): This word means "emerald," which is a type of green gemstone.
- Verdoso (IPA: /beɾ.ˈðo.so/): This word means "greenish" and is used to describe a shade of green that is not quite fully green.
- Clorofila (IPA: /klo.ɾo.ˈfi.la/): This word means "chlorophyll," which is the green pigment found in plants.
Like any language, Spanish has regional differences in its vocabulary and pronunciation. The word verde is universally understood throughout the Spanish-speaking world, but there are some regional variations. Here are a few examples:
- In some parts of Latin America, especially in Mexico and Central America, people use the word güero to refer to a light shade of green. This word can also be used to describe a person with light hair or fair skin.
- In the Caribbean, people use the word limón to describe a bright green color, similar to the color of a lime.
- In Argentina, people use the word verde manzana (apple green) to describe a light shade of green.
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "Green" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "Green" in Spanish:
- La hoja de la planta es de color verde.
(The leaf of the plant is green.)
- Necesito una camisa verde para combinar con estos pantalones.
(I need a green shirt to match these pants.)
- El semáforo está en verde, podemos cruzar la calle.
(The traffic light is green, we can cross the street.)
- Los ojos de mi amigo son verdes, como los míos.
(My friend's eyes are green, like mine.)
- La manzana verde es mi fruta favorita.
(Green apple is my favorite fruit.)
In conclusion, the word for "green" in Spanish is verde, and it is universally understood throughout the Spanish-speaking world. However, there are some regional differences in vocabulary and pronunciation. Knowing how to say "green" in Spanish is a useful skill, especially if you are interested in environmental issues or traveling to Spanish-speaking countries. Hopefully, this article has helped you to understand the various ways to say "green" in Spanish and its meaning.