How To Say "Dinner" In Spanish
If you are traveling to a Spanish-speaking country, or you simply want to expand your Spanish vocabulary, you might wonder, "What is 'Dinner' in Spanish?" or "How do I say 'Dinner' in Spanish?". In this article, we will explore the meaning of "Dinner" in Spanish, how to translate it, and regional differences in the language.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is "Dinner" in Spanish?
The Spanish word for "dinner" is "cena", pronounced with the stress on the second syllable. It is a feminine noun, so you would use the feminine articles "la" or "una" with it.
Meaning of "Dinner" in Spanish
The English word "dinner" refers to the main meal of the day, typically eaten in the evening. In Spanish, there are several words that can be used to convey the same meaning, depending on the region and context. Some of the most common Spanish words for "dinner" are:
Cena (IPA: /ˈθena/): This is the most widely used term for "Dinner" in Spanish. In most Spanish-speaking countries, cena refers to the meal eaten at the end of the day, usually between 7 pm and 10 pm.
Comida (IPA: /ko.ˈmi.ða/): In some regions of Spain and Latin America, comida is used to refer to the main meal of the day, which is typically eaten in the afternoon or early evening. However, in other regions, comida simply means "food" or "meal" and can be used to refer to any meal of the day.
Almuerzo (IPA: /al.ˈmwer.θo/): In some Latin American countries, almuerzo is used to refer to the main meal of the day, which is typically eaten around midday. However, in other regions, almuerzo simply means "lunch" and is eaten around noon.
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Translating "Rice" to Spanish
If you want to say "Dinner" in Spanish, the most common word to use is cena. To use this word in a sentence, you could say:
- ¿Quieres ir a cenar conmigo?
(Do you want to go to dinner with me?)
- Me encanta cocinar la cena para mi familia.
(I love cooking dinner for my family.)
- ¿A qué hora es la cena?
(What time is dinner?)
As mentioned earlier, the term "cena" is used throughout the Spanish-speaking world to refer to dinner. However, there are some regional differences in the way dinner is eaten and referred to:
- In Spain, dinner is typically eaten later in the evening, often between 8 pm and 10 pm. It is usually a lighter meal than lunch, consisting of tapas, small plates, or a sandwich.
- In Mexico, dinner is usually eaten earlier in the evening, between 6 pm and 8 pm. It is a larger meal and may include soup, meat, beans, and rice.
- In Argentina, dinner is also eaten later in the evening, around 9 pm or later. It is usually a lighter meal than lunch and may include meat, vegetables, and a salad.
- In Peru, dinner is called "cena" and is usually eaten later in the evening, between 8 pm and 10 pm. It may include soup, rice, potatoes, and a meat dish.
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
How to Say "Dinner" in Spanish: Sample Sentences
Here are five sample sentences you can use to say "dinner" in Spanish:
- ¿Qué vamos a cenar hoy?
(What are we going to have for dinner today?)
- ¿Quieres salir a cenar conmigo esta noche?
(Do you want to go out for dinner with me tonight?)
- Ya es hora de cenar.
(It's time for dinner.)
- ¿Te gustaría cocinar algo para la cena?
(Would you like to cook something for dinner?)
- Esta cena está deliciosa.
(This dinner is delicious.)
In conclusion, "cena" is the equivalent word for "dinner" in Spanish. It is widely used in most Spanish-speaking countries, although there may be some regional differences in the usage of other related words. With this knowledge, you will be able to communicate effectively and enjoy your dining experience in any Spanish-speaking country.