How To Say 46 In Spanish
Learning how to say numbers in a new language is an essential step for anyone who wants to communicate with native speakers. Spanish is no exception, as it is one of the most spoken languages in the world. In this article, we will teach you how to say 46 in Spanish, along with some useful tips to improve your Spanish skills.
Fast track your vocabulary with the 10.000 most common Spanish words!
What is 46 in Spanish? Cardinal and Ordinal Forms
In Spanish, cardinal numbers are used to count things or express quantities, while ordinal numbers are used to indicate the position or order of things. The Spanish ordinal form of 46 is "cuarenta y seis" (IPA: /kwaˌɾenta i ˈseis/). Here is how you can break it down:
- “Cuarenta”: This means "forty" and is pronounced as /kwa.ɾen.ta/ (IPA).
- “Y”: This means "and" and is pronounced as /i/ (IPA).
- “Seis”: This means "six" and is pronounced as /ˈseis/ (IPA).
Now, let us explore the ordinal form: “cuadragésimo sexto” (IPA: /kwadɾaˌxesimo ˈseɡsto/). To break it down:
- "Cuadragésimo" means "fortieth" and is pronounced as /kwadɾaˌxesimo/ (IPA).
- "Sexto" means "sixth" and is pronounced as /ˈseɡsto/ (IPA).
As you can see, Spanish cardinal numbers are relatively straightforward, while ordinal numbers require more complex vocabulary. In general, you can form ordinal numbers by using the suffix "-avo" or "-ésimo" and mixing it with the cardinal number, depending on the gender and number of the noun. Nonetheless, in this case it is needed to do something more than adding a suffix. As a matter of fact, “cuarenta y seis” (46) becomes “cuadragésimo sexto” (46th) when "-dragésimo" is added to the first syllable of “cuarenta” (“cua") and it is used the cardinal form of “seis”: "sexto".
4 eBooks of the Spanish Frequency Dictionaries series by MostUsedWords
Sample Sentences for How to Say 46 in Spanish
Here are five sample sentences demonstrating how to use "cuarenta y seis" in Spanish:
- La respuesta a la pregunta número cuarenta y seis es correcta.
(The answer to question number forty-six is correct.)
- ¿Cuántas páginas tiene el capítulo cuarenta y seis?
(How many pages does chapter forty-six have?)
- En el calendario, hoy es el cuadragésimo sexto día del año.
(On the calendar, today is the forty-sixth day of the year.)
- Mi abuela cumplirá cuarenta y seis años en noviembre.
(My grandmother will turn forty-six in November.)
- El jugador número cuarenta y seis en la lista de equipo es mi favorito.
(Player number forty-six on the team roster is my favorite.)
You can find the paperbacks on Amazon (we have frequency dictionaries for beginners, intermediates, advanced and near-fluent students), or get the eBooks directly from us here. (They are affiliate links. That means we might get a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking these links, at no extra cost to you.)
Tips for Learning Spanish Numbers
Here are some tips to help you learn Spanish numbers and improve your pronunciation:
- Practice counting from 1 to 100 in Spanish.
- Listen to Spanish speakers counting and repeat after them.
- Break down larger numbers into smaller parts to make them easier to remember.
- Pay attention to the pronunciation of each number and practice until you get it right.
- Use flashcards or other memorization techniques to help you remember the numbers.
In conclusion, the cardinal number for 46 in Spanish is "cuarenta y seis" and the ordinal number is "cuadragésimo sexto." Remember to emphasize the syllables "cua" and "drá" when pronouncing "cuarenta y seis" to get it right. Practice counting and pay attention to pronunciation to improve your Spanish skills. With these tips and the examples provided, you will be saying "cuarenta y seis" like a pro in no time!