Skritter Review: Improving Your Chinese and Japanese Writing Skills
What is Skritter?
Skritter is an online platform designed to help users learn Chinese and Japanese writing skills. Skritter uses a spaced repetition algorithm to help users learn and remember the thousands of characters and vocabulary words necessary for reading and writing in these languages. The platform is available on desktop and mobile devices, allowing users to practice on-the-go.
Is Skritter good?
Yes, Skritter is an excellent tool for those looking to improve their Chinese and Japanese writing skills. The platform offers a comprehensive approach to learning, including character recognition, stroke order, and vocabulary building. Skritter is designed to help users learn in a way that is both engaging and efficient, making it an effective tool for those serious about mastering the languages.
Is Skritter worth it?
Skritter offers various pricing plans, starting at $7.50/month for a monthly subscription and going down to $4.40/month for a yearly subscription. While Skritter is not free, many users find the investment well worth it for the progress they are able to make in their language studies. Additionally, Skritter offers a free trial so that users can test the platform before committing to a subscription.
Pros of Skritter
- Comprehensive Approach: Skritter offers a comprehensive approach to learning Chinese and Japanese writing skills, including character recognition, stroke order, and vocabulary building.
- Engaging: Skritter is designed to be engaging, with interactive features and a game-like feel to keep users motivated and focused.
- Efficient: Skritter uses spaced repetition to help users learn and remember characters and vocabulary efficiently, reducing the time and effort required to master the languages.
- Mobile: Skritter is available on desktop and mobile devices, allowing users to practice on-the-go and fit language learning into their busy schedules.
- Customer Support: Skritter offers excellent customer support, with a responsive team available to assist users with any questions or issues.
Cons of Skritter
- Price: Skritter is not free and may be considered pricey by some users, particularly those on a tight budget.
- Focus on Writing: While Skritter is excellent for improving writing skills, it may not be as effective for developing speaking or listening skills.
- Limited Language Options: Skritter currently only offers support for Chinese and Japanese, which may not be helpful for users looking to learn other languages.
How a Frequency Dictionary Complements Skritter
While Skritter is excellent for improving writing skills, using a frequency dictionary alongside the platform can help users build vocabulary and reinforce their understanding of the characters they are learning. A frequency dictionary is a tool that ranks words in a language by how often they are used in daily communication, making it a useful resource for language learners looking to prioritize their studies. By using a frequency dictionary alongside Skritter, users can ensure that they are learning the most commonly used words in the language, which can help them progress more quickly and efficiently in their studies.
Overall, Skritter is an excellent tool for those looking to improve their Chinese and Japanese writing skills. The platform offers a comprehensive approach to learning, with engaging and efficient features that make language learning enjoyable and effective. While Skritter may not be free and may not be as effective for developing speaking and listening skills, many users find the investment worth it for the progress they are able to make. By using a frequency dictionary alongside Skritter, users can further improve their language skills and make the most of their studies.